Thursday, November 03, 2005

What's in a (dog's) name?

Ok... I'm not doing too bad. The prose sucks, but that's expected, right? My writing is not good even when I have time to think about it...

Regarding the last posting, I called the dog "Jerky." Terrible name. If I knew anyone that actually named their dog Jerky, I would kidnap their dog and rename it. But that name was previously "Fuzzy" in the text. Why "Fuzzy?" Because about 2 sentences into a 50K word novel, I had to name a dog, and couldn't. I could have well called the dog "The Refrigerator" Perry, because I just had to get something down and go on. Heck, that's 3 words compared to one, and 10 mentions (so far - don't look for this dog to be a major player, though), an extra 20 words if things get desperate!

Anyway, the dog's name is now "Sam," which some web site tells me is Hebrew for "listener." I would guess "Samuel" actually, since I don't recall many "Sams" in the Bible.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sarah Glenn said...

Hey, Sam beats 'Spot'. If I ever use a dog in my stories, I'll probably call it "Phaedo" after Plato's dialogue. That's what I get for being a former classics major! :)

I'm impressed with your output so far. I should be as productive in one day. How many hours did it take you to compose it?

Sarah G

8:44 AM  
Blogger R Flowers said...

Thanks for your kind comments. There's really no composition to it though.

7:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home